Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Cheese Enchiladas with Salsa de Mancha Manteles

I'm very excited, I recently bought The Tassajara Recipe Book. Tassajara is the name of a Zen Mountain Center in Northern California. All of the recipes are vegetarian and pretty healthy as well. Everything is really great for the soul.

Of course, I had to try the new cookbook out right away! So I decided to make dinner for my beau last weekend. Here is what I made for the tasty meal.

Cheese Enchiladas with Salsa de Mancha Manteles
The Salsa
8 New Mexico chilies - I could not find these so I didn't use them
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup almonds
2 Tbsp sesame seeds - the recipe calls for both these and the almonds to be roasted, but I did not roast them
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Small clove of Garlic, minced
1 oz Dark Chocolate (that's right, don't be afraid)
a pinch or two of Cinnamon
1/2 - 1 1/2 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
Salt
Tomato Paste (optional) - I used this because there wouldn't have been much of a salsa without the chilies

Grind the almonds and sesame seeds.

Heat oil, add garlic and cook briefly. Add raisins and the blended almonds and sesame seeds. Add chocolate, cinnamon and sugar. Season to taste with vinegar and salt.

Add tomato paste and some water.


Cheese Enchiladas
1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
Olive Oil
8 oz Jack Cheese, grated
1/2 cup pitted Olives (optional) - I did not use these
2 oz canned Green Chilies, minced
Corn Tortillas

Garnish:
Sour Cream
Cilantro

Saute the onion in olive oil, set aside to cool. Add the cheese and chilies.

Line a 9" x 13" pan with 1/2 cup of the salsa from above. Heat tortillas to make them pliable. Dip both sides in some of the sauce on a plate. Add the cheese mixture to the tortilla and roll. Place in the baking dish. Do this until the pan is full. (The recipes calls for 12 tortillas, but I only fit 6).

Cover the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. I sprinkled some cheese on top before baking it.

Garnish with Sour Cream and Cilantro.

I also made the Excellent Apple Salad and Green Beans with Sesame Paste and Garlic. Perhaps I'll post those recipes another time. Or you could just go and buy the book yourself.

1 comment:

The Fat Dietitian said...

Those are beauties.... I love anything and everything Mexican food!