Thursday, September 11, 2008

Food of the week: Bacon!

Food of the week: Bacon

You knew it was coming!

I once went on a date with a guy who said to me, “I think bacon should be its own food group. I mean, there are so many kinds, Canadian, turkey, pancetta…”. Unfortunately that was the only interesting thing he had to say that evening and alas, it was not meant to be. But, he sure made a great point about bacon!

If you eat meat, chances are you eat bacon. I’ve even heard of people who stopped eating meat, with the exception of bacon. What is it about this tasty portion of pig that lures so many people? The smell? The crisp, yet tender, texture? The savory flavor? Whatever it is, it’s delicious!!!!

(Side note: If you’re dating someone who is vegan, it is generally not a good idea to talk about how much you like bacon. They tend not to have the same affection for it.)


Benefits:

  • It was hard to find any nutritional benefits of bacon. It has lots of protein, that’s for sure.
  • Also, if you eat only a few slices, there are not that many calories (if you like a high calories from fat to calories ratio).
  • Most of the benefits have to do with taste and comfort.


Drawbacks:


Ways to eat bacon:

  • Never underestimate the deliciousness of the traditional BLT. Throw in an avocado for a BLAT.
  • I have 3 words for you – bacon, eggs and hashbrowns!!!!! Ooh, put it all on some toast and have a tasty sandwich!
  • A bacon and apple sandwich (granny smith apples work best)
  • This was recommended to me. I don’t so much eat seafood, but some of you may and I don’t want to exclude you – scallops wrapped in bacon. I was told this would make me want to eat seafood.
  • See http://startcooking.com/blog/395/50-Ways-to-Use-Bacon for additional ideas.


Cooking tidbit:
My vegetarian roomie offered up this tip for cooking bacon that she found in a magazine. It may have had something to do with the strong bacon flavor that took over the apartment when I would pan-fry bacon. Whatever the reason, this method for cooking bacon is really great. Instead of pan-frying, lay slices of bacon on a cookie sheet and put in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. No worries, there is still the essence of bacon in the room, but it is not quite as all-consuming as pan-frying. Also, you do not have to flip the bacon or worry about spitting oil when you use the oven method. *I would also like to send a thank you to my roomie for being tolerant when I cook bacon. I try to do it when she’s not home, but it doesn’t always work out that way. Thanks BG!*

Little know facts (a.k.a. some people take their love of bacon a little too far):
Bacon is so great, there are many blogs solely dedicated to it.
http://www.baconunwrapped.com/
http://www.iheartbacon.com/
http://baconshow.blogspot.com/
http://www.maganda.org/blog/index2.php

Bacon can double as clothing?

Why floss with a boring old string, when you can use bacon-flavored floss? Ewww!

Best bacon quote: "Bacon is sex in a skillet. It's the ultimate aphrodisiac for all living things. Except pigs, of course." Dan Philips of the Grateful Palate.

Last words: I try my best not to support the meatpacking industry for several reasons (locally produced meats are healthier, less tortuous for the animals and there’s less indecent treatment of factory workers). So, while I am a fan of bacon, I always try to buy it from local farmers. I ask of you too, to frequent your local farmer’s market, if possible (you can get lots of good produce there too). Support your local farmers!

***Remember this oldie? I feel like this could be a man as well as a dog.****

4 comments:

Awesome K said...

Thanks for the shout-out!
I like the "could be offensive to vegetarians" tag. I think I've giving both you and Mark bacon for x-mas.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Happy Birthday Jesus! Just please don't give it to me in a non-edible form (ie a wallet).

Unknown said...

That beggin strips video is intense, yo.

The Road Less Traveled said...

It's bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!