Friday, September 19, 2008

Wine of Choice: Sauvignon Blanc

It's time to add a new regular feature to the Accidental Epicure. In recent years I have been growing a fondness for wine. Although I like to go to wine tastings I really do not know much about the wines I drink. So, in an effort to educate myself and to divulge more in the wonderful world of vino, I will write about a Wine of Choice on a weekly basis. This will include a little background and suggestions for certain types of wines. Since I am not that schooled in wine, I will begin with some of my favorites and move on to new types. I hope you enjoy as we become educated about wine together!


My first Wine of Choice will be Sauvignon Blanc.

Sauvignon Blanc (pronouned SOH-vihn-yohn BLAHNGK) is a white wine.

Where it’s from:
The Sauvignon Blanc grapes originated in the Loire Valley in France. Today they are grown and produced in France, California, New Zealand, South Africa, Chile, Argentina, and, to lesser degrees in Washington State, Australia, and Italy.



New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc and California's Fumé Blanc are of noted exception.


What it tastes like:
Like all wines, Sauvignon Blanc's flavor varies depending on where it comes from and how it is fermented. In general, Sauvignon Blanc is tangy, tart, nervy, racy, or zesty. But it can also be intense, aromatic, dry, medium-full bodied, crisp, elegant, bold, pungent, and refreshing.


Sauvignon Blanc from cooler climates and fertile soils are known for herbaceous smells and flavors, while in warmer regions the flavors of melon, citrus, and passion fruit aromas emerge.




What to eat it with:
Sauvignon Blanc is very versatile. You can eat with tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, raw garlic, or smoked cheeses. Or Shellfish and Caesar salad to fried chicken and aged Jarlsberg cheese.

Sauvignon Blanc can make a good Sangria!

No comments: