Monday, September 15, 2008

Recipe of the week: Cheesy Quinoa Surprise

I developed this recipe one night when I had a craving for macaroni and cheese. Because I didn’t have any pasta I had to be creative. It was one of my more delicious discoveries.

My mother is always trying to get me to eat more quinoa, so this one is for her!

Cheesy Quinoa Surprise
¾ cup quinoa prepared as directed
½ medium zucchini, diced
½ medium yellow squash, diced
½ small onion, diced
1 (6oz) can tuna
½ bag of shredded cheese
1 tbsp butter
¼ cup or so milk
Salt, Pepper, & Cumin to taste

Blanch zucchini and squash. Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and heat until cheese melts.

Without any spices it can be pretty bland. Play around with a mix of spices to discover what works best for you. I like the combination of salt, pepper and cumin.

It doesn’t get much easier than this. It makes a few servings – at least one good size portion of leftovers when I eat it.

(Psst: The surprise is tuna!)

Author's Note: It has been brought to my attention that this dish may be better without zucchini and squash, and perhaps with broccoli or peas. Yes, I realize that I use zucchini a lot (hey it's tasty!) but I will make it a point to reach out to other vegetables for you anti-zucchinists. *Hugs*

2 comments:

Nessa said...

Oh my yes, it's all about the cumin. But let's dump the zucchini and yellow squash, bleck! How about broccoli, or snow peas?

The Road Less Traveled said...

Broccoli would probably be really good. What do you have against zucchini and yellow squash?!?!?!