Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recipe of the week: 7 Layers of Heaven Burrito

Watch out Taco Bell! I've got a 7 layer burrito that will put yours to shame. I decided to treat myself to a lovely valentines dinner and came up with this wonderful treat. I've learned recently that less is generally more when it comes to cooking. But, I decided to throw this rule out the window and added all the good stuff I could think of. Here is my 7 layer burrito, broken down layer by layer.

Layer 1 - Refried black beans mixed with taco seasoning.

Layer 2 - 2 strips of bacon.

Layer 3 - Pieces of crunchy romaine lettuce.

Layer 4 - Matchstick carrots. I've been adding these babies to lots of sandwiches and wraps lately. They add a little crunch.

Layer 5 - Sliced avocado. I don't feel I need to qualify this layer.

Layer 6 - Now stay with me for a minute here. This really is a good addition. I saute slices of zucchini in olive oil and parmesan cheese.

Layer 7 - Sour cream.

7 comments:

The Fat Dietitian said...

This looks yummy, and the carrots and zucchini would make me feel less guilty about eating 2 or 3!

Not Another Omnivore said...

You know, nix the bacon, and this could be a wonderful thing!

Great recipe!

Not Another Omnivore said...

Oh, and check this out...


http://closetcooking.blogspot.com/2009/02/parmesan-crusted-baked-zucchini-sticks.html

The Road Less Traveled said...

It's so tasty that I had to have a second helping and then I so stuffed after. But yes, I figure the veggies balance out the bacon and sour cream.

My roomie is a vegetarian and she eats fakin' bacon often. This could be replaced for the real thing. But, I just have a weak spot for bacon...

Thanks for the link to the zucchini sticks. They look good!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for adding me to your food blog list! Oh yeah, bacon and refried beans and sour cream and avocado...a little bit of heaven. Some chipotle tabasco sauce on top - mmm. I am super hungry right now, srsly.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Thanks for stopping by Megan. I enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Now this is a burrito I definitely want to sink my teeth in! Delicious!