Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Recipe of the week: Gluten Free Tex Mex Mosaic Salad

Last weekend we had a gluten free potluck at our zen center. We did this because we had a visiting zen priest who has Celiac Disease, a disorder in which a toxic reaction is caused by eating foods containing gluten. Potlucks allow the members of this zen community to share food and community with each other for an afternoon. Making accommodations for our visitor was a welcome to our community.

Gluten is found in a lot of food. It is a wheat/rye/barley protein used in pastas and breads. Typical food for potlucks tend to include pasta, bread and desserts containing gluten. So, in my search for a gluten free dish for the potluck I came across this blog. And I found this tasty little dish.

Tex Mex Mosaic Salad
1 (14.5 oz.) can of black beans, drained
1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or most of a 14.5 oz can)
1-1/2 cups steamed edamame
2 cups corn kernels

Dressing:
2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix beans, corn and tomatoes in a bowl. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over the mixture.

Sorry, I do not have a picture. There's one on the blog link I've attached to the dish name. That's pretty much what it looked like for me too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you went out of your way to have a gluten-free potluck for the priest.

Nessa said...

I made this last week, it was so yummy! And very colorful. I think next time I'm going to try it with lime juice rather than cider vinegar, just because I think lime would be delicious with the other ingredients.