Sunday, May 24, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Vegetable Curry and Red Cabbage with Apples

I am not a fan of spicy food, but an aromatic curry that is not too hot makes my mouth water. I recently made a Curry Lentil Soup in my crock pot, but it was nothing to write home about. I decided that I needed to learn how to make a good curry, so I googled curry recipes and tried to create one of my own out of what I found. I must say I was quite impressed with the results. Unfortunately I did not use exact measurements, so these are an estimate.

Vegetable Curry
1 Can Coconut Milk
1/2 Red Onion, Sliced
3-4 tbsp Curry Powder
2 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp fresh Ginger, grated
2 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed

Cooked Vegetables:
Peas
Zucchini, sliced
Broccoli, chopped

Brown Rice or Angel Hair Pasta, cooked

Heat oil in a saucepan, add red onion. Cook until onions are soft. Add ginger and garlic and cook on high for 30 seconds. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Add coconut milk. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Add Curry and Cumin. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat. Toss in vegetables and put over rice or pasta.

The curry was slightly on the spicy side, but nothing I could not handle. So, if you like spicy, add more curry powder.



I decided to cook some red cabbage as well and found this recipe.

Red Cabbage with Apple
1 medium head Red Cabbage, washed and shredded
1 large Tart Apple, peeled, cored and sliced
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Bay Leaf
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup Dry Wine
2 Tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Sugar

Melt butter in a large deep skillet. Add cabbage and apples, mix well.

Add bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.

Add wine, vinegar and sugar. Mix well, cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.


I seasoned the cabbage with some Gomashio to finish it off.



No comments: