Sunday, January 18, 2009

Building a Community Around Food

Food has always been something that has bonded cultures, family and friends. With so many people around the world, we all have something to learn and to share when it comes to cooking and eating. I have had the privilege of sharing this experience with many people. In fact, during this period of unemployment I have decided to enjoy food with those around me. Here are a few observations.

1. Allow others to take care of you and learn from them. Lots of people have been so wonderful to me, not just during my unemployment, but in general. Some people have cooked for me, like my mother who made me all of that Mexican Lasagna. My friends Elizabeth, Alisa and Aaron have made me wonderful dinners, that taught me about the elegance of simple recipes. Finally, my friend Yoko taught me not only how to make sushi, but how to adjust it to fit my tastes. When we let go of our pride, we allow others to give a part of themselves. Most people want to have something to give.

2. Share what you know and love with others. It's great to be open to what others have to give, but it's even better when you can pass it on to your loved ones. I don't have a lot to give people right now, but I can share with them the joy and friendship of shared meals. While unemployed I have decided that once a week I will take a homemade lunch to a friend at work. It really benefits all people involved; my friend gets a tasty treat in the middle of the day and I get out of the apartment and some companionship for a little while. I've found that you don't really have to be the best cook, people will just enjoy the intention and the company.

I also had the chance to cook with my nephew back in Michigan. He's 12 years old and already thinking about becoming a chef some day. So one evening he and I made dinner for our family. We made a simple stir fry, but I taught him how to cook rice and cut chicken and vegetables. His younger sister wanted to help out too. I didn't feel she was old enough to use a knife so I asked her to help me make the salad, which involved mixing all of the contents into a bowl. It was amazing how both my niece and nephew wanted to learn and be useful. I think they really enjoyed it. And I enjoyed it too!

3. When people get together it's natural to eat! Some friends and I recently started a knitting circle, which became a crafting circle, which became a crafting/eating circle. Most people bring food along, and we eat, craft and chat. It's a great way to enjoy each others company and to share our favorite foods with each other. Additionally, two good friends and I get together regularly for brunch. It gives us a chance every week to catch up with what's going on in each other's lives. Going to a restaurant every week can be a bit expensive so we decided that at least once a month we would make a brunch at someones home.

So there you have it, when you have friends you will never go hungry. I feel like this is a point in my life where I could really let things get me down. Luckily, I have wonderful friends and some resources to enjoy what would otherwise be a rough time.

2 comments:

Nessa said...

You are wonderful. Thank you for the beautiful reminders that there is so much to enjoy even when it feels like we are lacking. I've been so down the past few weeks, and so bored with the limits put on the food I can enjoy during recovery. One of the things I want to do once my body and checkbook (my last paycheck was $96 -- eeep!) are well again is start a dining club. There are so many wonderful places to eat in this city, so many places I want to try, but I always find some excuse not to...money, no one to go with, etc. But once a month I want to bring people I enjoy together to try something new. Anyway...I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. I miss you!

The Road Less Traveled said...

I miss you too, especially trying new restaurants together! I used to be a member of a dining out meet-up group. We tried a different restaurant each month, while getting to know each other. I guess that's another way to form relationships around food.

I hope you are able to enjoy some good food and company soon!