Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Recipe of the week: Maki Sushi

Last week I had an excellent tutorial on how to make Maki Sushi from my friend Yoko. The instructions were really great and she showed me how to make it without any seafood or even sea vegetable. (I'm a picky eater and do not eat anything from the sea, including sea vegetables. There is one exception, canned tuna. I don't know why so don't ask me.) So, I decided to make sushi for my roommate Kate and take it to her for lunch today. It was great and she seemed to really enjoy it!

Making Maki Sushi is not really that complicated, once you know how to do it. It just takes a little bit of time. There are really three major things to do for sushi; cook the rice, prepare the fillings and roll and cut the sushi. From start to finish it took me about 2 hours to make today.


Making the Rice
Ingredients needed: Sushi Rice, Sushi Vinegar and Water

It's easy to find Sushi Rice at most grocery stores. Prepare rice as directed on the package. If you cannot find Sushi Vinegar you can just combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Once the rice is cooked you mix the Sushi Vinegar into the rice. Rapidly mix for a few minutes. This gives the sushi a little bit of sweetness.

Total time to make rice: About 1 hour


Preparing the Fillings
Ingredients needed: Avocado, Cucumber, Eggs, Carrots, Shitaki Mushrooms, Soy Sauce, Water - And whatever else your heart desires.

Cut into thin slices the Avocado, Cucumber, Carrots and Mushrooms. Put the Avocado and Cucumber aside.

Blanche the Carrots in water and then remove, set aside. Cook mushrooms in carrot water until soft (My friend Yoko added some kind of wine-vinegar at this stage. I did not but it still worked out anyway). Remove the mushrooms and soak in soy sauce for a few minutes.


In a skillet, cook 3 eggs omelet style. Cut the omelet into thin strips and put on a plate with all other fillings.


Total time to make the fillings: 20-30 minutes (can be done while rice is cooking)


Rolling and Cutting the Sushi
Items needed: Bamboo Sushi Roller, Wax Paper or Syran Wrap, Sesame Seeds, Nori Sheets and a good sharp knife

Lay out Sushi Roller flat on a cutting board.

For Nori-less rolls: Lay piece of wax paper/syran wrap on top of roller. Cover half of the width of the roller with rice. Make a thin line down the middle (but be careful not to go all the way through the rice. Add thin slices of a few of the fillings (ie. Avocado, Carrot and Cucumber). Use the roller to fold over the edge of the paper and create a roll. Make sure that the fillings don't squeeze or fall out in the process. Press on the sides of the roller to make the roll firm. Remove the roller and paper/wrap. Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds. Cut the roll into inch long pieces and stand up on a dish.







For rolls with Nori: Lay a sheet of the Nori on the roller. Cover half of the Nori with rice. Make a thin line in the middle as described above. Add the fillings and use the roller to fold over. Make sure that the Nori completely covers the roll and press the roller to make the roll firm. This will also seal the Nori. Cut away any excess Nori. Cut the roll into inch long pieces and stand up on a dish.


Total time to make about 5 rolls: 30 minutes.

Note: It's a good idea to keep a towel near you while rolling the sushi. The rice is very sticky and some of the fillings will dirty up your hands as well.




I made the rolls with Nori for my roomie and and the ones without for both of us. I took some soy sauce for dipping. In addition, I made some Edamame, by simply boiling some frozen pods in lightly salted water.



Kate takes the classy route using chopsticks to eat her sushi.



I decide to use my hands instead.

9 comments:

Awesome K said...

Wow, I remember it like it was yesterday! Also I was helluva impressed- well done! You can bring me lunch anytime!!

Anonymous said...

All the tips that you shared on your blog are very useful.
Thanks.

Not Another Omnivore said...

This is a really neat post! I hope to attempt maki making at some point, I just haven't gotten there yet. I watched my boyfriend's roommate struggle for hours on it once and was turned away from the idea, but I now realize it probably doesn't have to be that hard!

NAOmni

The Road Less Traveled said...

I was really fortunate in that my friend Yoko was a great teacher. I tried to make it once without the proper the tools and the rolls didn't stay together very well. It might take a practice round or two, but if your patient and can devote the time it's well worth it!

Thanks for praise BG! I'm glad you liked it.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Also, it might be more fun to have a sushi making night with some friends. At least that way if things don't go right, you can laugh at each other. That's better than crying to yourself...

Anonymous said...

That is so great! I should try this.Any special tips on rolling the rice?

The Road Less Traveled said...

The way I rolled it was a quick but controlled method. Use one hand to roll the rice and the other to keep the fillings inside. If you do it too slowly the fillings may fall out. Once the rice meets the other end of the rice, exert pressure on the sides and top. This will form the rice into a roll and make it stick.

I hope that make sense and helps you out!

Anonymous said...

I love sushi. I often make it. You should get ginger on the side and mix the green mustard in with the sweet soya for dipping. Use your chopsticks for this.

I find that having a real sharp knife really essential for cutting and you must start at the very fat end of the knife. I always pass the knife through warm water between each cut. I cut first in the middle than the middle then the middle.

I put the rice over the entire sheet of nori not just the middle. I find this works best to keep it all together.

I buy smoked salmon, the kind they make lox with and I add this to the mix along with the avocado. If I cannot have fish, I use cucumbers that have a fishy taste when combined with nori.

Dont forget to cook the rice the day before and leave it in the fridge. I always put icing sugar and rice wine in the rice while it is warm and then chill it.

This is how I make mine at any rate although I have no doubt yours is much better.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Thank you for the recommendations. I've only made sushi a couple of times as taught by one friend. More suggestions are always appreciated.

Thanks!