Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Recipes of the week: Holiday Gifts, Part 2

Yes, okay the holidays are officially over. But I have not posted my promised continuation of the holiday gifts. In addition to baked goods, I made some other things that people can use around the kitchen. These are things that can be used any time of the year, so they could be used for Easter or St Patty's Day (although not green), among other holidays.

Whenever we have meditation retreats at the zendo, we have very healthy meals. Almost always, Gomashio is provided for us. Gomashio is a mixture of toasted sesame seeds and sea salt. You can season just about anything with it. Seriously, I've used it in oatmeal, in plain rice and even in mac & cheese. You may remember my post on sesame seeds and their wonderful benefits. Using this mixture is a little healthier than using salt alone. Plus, it deepens the flavor. This is why I decided to make some jars of it for some family and friends as holiday presents.

Sometimes the gomashio is ground up after being toasted, but I did not do this. I enjoy the seeds whole.


Additonally, I made some nut butters. I've been making some of my own for a while, and decided to share them with family members. Basic nut butters are really simple, actually. You just toast the nut of choice in the oven for a few minutes and then combine them with nut oil and a little sugar in a food processor. It takes A LOT of processing to get to butter consistency, but that's really the hardest part.



I gave come people plain nut butters, like almond nut butter for instance. Then I also played around and came up with some special butters:

- Almond Butter with Chili and Lime
- Dark Chocolate Cashew Butter - I just processed cashews and dark chocolate chips to a buttery consistency. So good, but do not put in the refrigerator or it will become a solid, container shaped brick.
- Peanut Butter with Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Allspice

I tried out a few other ideas, but they didn't work out so well. The above were my favorites.

The nut butters and gomashio made nice compliments to the cookies I made. This gave people some healthier Christmas goodies.

No comments: