Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Recipes of the week: Budget Gourmet

As you can see by my menu for the week, I am trying to adhere to a tight budget by using many affordable items repeatedly throughout the week. The resulting meals are simple but offer something a little different than the common budget foods. As a side note, I remember when I was an undergrad I used to eat half of a can of spaghetti oh's and a grilled cheese sandwich every day. Good for the budget, not so much for the soul.

Here are some of the meals I've crafted this week (and a few from previous weeks that fit in with the theme).

Grilled Pb & J
I've been eating a LOT of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches lately. And why not? We know that PB is healthy and that the ingredients are affordable. But, as much as I really enjoy a good PB & J, it's easy to get sick of eating them repeatedly. So, here's a little tweak to the traditional favorite. My inspiration came from a newly opened, local cafe that serves fried PB &J sandwiches. I thought, I could do that.

2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
Peanut Butter
Jelly of your choice (I use a strawberry rhubarb from my hometown of Dexter, Michigan. I stock up on it a few times a year)
Butter

Make this as you would make a grilled cheese sandwich. Spread butter on the outside of both pieces of bread. On the inside of the slices spread the PB & J. Grill over medium heat until side of bread is brown, flip and repeat on other side.

Now, you may be hesitant to try this, but I assure you it is wonderful! Not so much healthy, but wonderful.


Bean and Cheese Quesadillas and Pomegranate Guacamole
I made these last weekend for some friends as an alternative to ordering in. They were simple to make and tasty. Much like for PB & J sandwiches, the ingredients for quesadillas can be stretched out and used for multiple things. For instance, I could make a bean and cheese burrito (as I am planning to later this week).

1 Flour Tortilla
Refried Black Beans
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Butter
I've previously used chicken sauteed in taco seasoning as well

Cut one large tortilla in half and butter one side of each half. Spread refried black beans on half of each half tortilla. Lay butter side down in a warm skillet, sprinkle cheese over the beans and fold over the tortilla. Brown each side in the skillet over medium heat.



I cut each one in half again to make small slices of the quesadilla.

As for the guacamole...
1 Ripe Avocado
1/2 Clove Garlic
Pomegranate Seeds

Smash up the avocado and mix in minced or chopped garlic. Add pomegranate seeds to your liking.

The seeds offer little pockets of fruity goodness against the contrast of the heavy, yet delicious avocado.


Pasta with Sauteed Beets and Onions
This is pretty self explanatory. It's so easy and it provides a different take on the usual pasta. I heart beets and they add a nice flavor to the dish.

1 Small Can Beets, Sliced in to small pieces
1/2 Small Onion, Chopped
Olive Oil
Whole Wheat Pasta, Cooked
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Saute the beets and onion in olive oil. Throw over pasta and flavor with parmesan cheese.



Quinoa Casserole
I made this dish one day while trying to make use of food I had at home. It's rather tasty and super healthy (well, except for maybe the cheese).

1 Cup Unprepared Quinoa
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/4 Cup Frozen Peas
1/2 Small Onion, Chopped
1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
Cumin, Celery Salt, Garlic Powder
Milk
Butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Prepare the quinoa as directed. While still warm, stir in about a tablespoon of butter, a little bit of milk, as much cheese as your heart desires (but save a little for the topping), the onion and peas.

Pour the mixture into a greased baking dish (I use a small bread size dish).

Melt a tablespoon of butter and mix in the breadcrumbs and the cumin, celery salt and garlic powder to taste. Stir in some cheese and spread the mixture over the top of the quinoa mix in the dish.

Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the topping has become crisp and the cheese on top is melted.


Now you have 4 new recipes for budget friendly meals. When you see these come up on my weekly menu (and they will!) you will know what they are. Being broke doesn't have to mean eating ramen noodles or half a can of spaghetti oh's and a grilled cheese sandwich.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yummy! I'm going to try that on my PB&J! I love easy recipes! I would like to invite you to visit Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit - and share your favorite recipe and/or link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here.. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!