Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Recipe of the week: Mexican Lasagna

You have to love Moms! They always know how to give you that TLC. During my trip home for the holidays, mine gave a gift that only a mother could. A wonderful dish, combining the best of two worlds. I believe this was originally a recipe of my sisters. My mother made many small 1-2 serving dishes of Mexican Lasagna. Seriously, she made around 5 single serving dishes for me to bring back to New York. I put them in a little cooler and then in the freezer when I got home. They lasted for the next week, providing lots of meals.

Mexican Lasagna
2 lbs ground beef or turkey (can be left out for a vegetarian option)
2 packages taco seasoning
1 can of refried beans
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
6 cooked lasagna noodles
2 cups Mexican mix of shredded cheeses

Brown the meat and add the taco seasoning.

Drain the tomatoes, add to the meat.

In a 9 x13 pan (or multiple tiny pans for single servings) layer from the bottom up half of the meat, 3 noodles, half of the beans, 1 cup cheese, 3 noodles, rest of the beans, rest of the meat, 1 cup cheese.

Bake at 350 covered for 40 minutes and then uncovered for 10-15 minutes.


So there you have it. It's a simple dish, but tasty. And also light on the wallet (especially when made by mom).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!Nothing beats mom's cooking! I definitely want to try this recipe. Hope you could drop by Foodista and share this recipe with us!