Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Lentil and Rice Casserole

I got to use my crock pot again! And this was a simple but tasty dish. I found the recipe online, of course. Where else do you find recipes? Again, I took it to a potluck at my zen center. I forgot to add the cheese, but it was still pretty good. The first time I made it I remembered the cheese and it was better.

3 tsp powdered chicken bouillon (I used vegetable stock for a vegetarian version)
2-1/2 cups very hot water
3/4 cup dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup white or brown rice
1 small to medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried sweet basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp minced garlic
Two handfuls or so of shredded cheddar cheese.

Combine everything but the cheese in a crock pot and cook on low for 3.5 hours. Add cheese and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

No comments: