Thursday, November 20, 2008

Food of the week: Pomegranate


Pomegranates are in season! Yet another reason to love fall. I've been seeing and hearing pomegranate everywhere lately, it seems. I think it's time to make the pomegranate food of the week!



Benefits:
  • Rich in antioxidants, which help to prevent cancer and heart disease.
  • Good source of Vitamin C, Potassium, and fiber.
  • Low in calories.
  • May help lower cholesterol.


Drawbacks:

  • May slow the metabolism of some medications.
  • May cause low blood pressure when combined with blood pressure lowering medications.

Ways to eat Pomegranate:

  • The seeds can be added to yogurt or pudding for a sweet treat.
  • Pomegranate juice is tasty (fyi, I wouldn't drink it if you have a sore throat, it's a little rough)
  • Pomegranate martini, mojito, what have you....
  • I went to a party last weekend where there was guacamole with pomegranate seeds in it! Yum!
Little know facts:

2 comments:

Nessa said...

I decided a while ago that if I were a fruit this is the fruit I would be. :)

The Road Less Traveled said...

Yes, often I think of your pomegranate-like qualities; pink and juicy, soft on the outside with a surprising crunch in the middle. But I don't care when anybody says, you're not seedy...