Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Recipe of the week: Southwestern Style Quinoa

Recently I had lunch at a place called 'sNice here in Brooklyn. It was soon after I chose quinoa for food of the week, so their quinoa dish with beans, corn and avocado caught my attention. While eating it I thought a) that it was tasty and b) that I could probably make it on my own. So, I did. It wasn't exactly the same, but it was also good.



Southwestern Style Quinoa
2 Cups Prepared Quinoa
8 ounces Black Beans
5 ounces corn
1 Avocado
1/2 Small Red Onion, sliced
1/2 Medium Lime
Few tsp of Chili Powder
Few Tsps Olive Oil

Mix 1/2 Avocado, small queeze of lime (don't use it all) and olive oil until it is a sauce consistency. Put aside.


Mix the quinoa, beans, corn, onions and sliced avocado with a splash of lime and some chili powder.

Mix in or put on the side the Avocado-lime sauce.



The dish at 'sNice also had greens, I cannot remember if it was spinach or some kind of lettuce. I didn't use it in my recipe, but it could be easily added.



5 comments:

The Fat Dietitian said...

Tag... You're it!
http://thefatdietitian.blogspot.com/2008/11/thank-you-for-blogging.html

Not Another Omnivore said...

Hey there!

I'm linking to you a couple times in my Tear Down Tuesday: Avocado this week!

NAOmni

Nessa said...

I bought Quinoa yesterday just because of you. I've never prepared it myself before, though I've had it cooked by others. There's this wine bar that has the most amazing quinoa cakes, yum yum yum.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Wine! and Quinoa cakes! Sounds like heaven!

Quinoa's super easy. My only problem is draining it without losing half of it in the sink (it's so little).

Nessa said...

I cannot wait to try this. I had the same problem with rinsing it. Maybe we need to invest in cheesecloths.