Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Recipe of the week: Green Tea–Poached Asian Chicken with Lemongrass and Green Onion and Brown Rice

Okay, okay! Calm down! I know you've been sitting on the edge of your seat, awaiting this week's recipe. And after the decrease in blogging last week, you're hurting for more. I get it, I do. So, here's the fix for this week.

You may have noticed my shotty pictures of the finished products in previous posts. That's because my laptop died and so I've just been taking pictures on my phone and sending them to myself. Unacceptable, I know. Well, this week, I invited a friend to dinner in return for his mad food photography skills. Thanks Ian!

For this week, I chose another recipe from Natural Health, one that I've been eyeing for a while. It's Green Tea–Poached Asian Chicken with Lemongrass and Green Onion and Brown Rice. Who would have thought to cook chicken and rice in green tea? As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to try it. So, I did.

6 cups water
6 green tea bags
1 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
1 cup brown rice (basmati is more aromatic, but any brown rice will do)
4 4-inch pieces of lemongrass taken from the bottom of the stalk
2 split skinless chicken breasts on or off the bone (4 halves)
1 red pepper
2 carrots
4 spring onions
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari
1 bunch of cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)

Basically you brew the tea and then cook the rice in 2 cups of the tea rather than water. Oh, and you throw in 2 of the stalks of lemongrass.

Then use the remaining 4 cups of tea to cook the chicken breasts. And use the rest of the lemongrass. This poaches the chicken. Do so for about 30 minutes over low heat.

After the chicken is cooked, shred it and put it back in the tea broth with the pepper, carrots, spring onions, and pepper flakes. Add the tamari and poach for another 3 to 4 minutes until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the chopped cilantro.


Serve it over the brown rice and enjoy.

Not only was it a tasty Thai treat, it looked beautiful too! Ian helped me out and prepared the cranberry-walnut salad of Recipe of the Week fame.

2 comments:

Awesome K said...

boy someone must buy really pretty dishes....

Nessa said...

Did I already tell you that TJ's sells brown basmati rice? Best of both worlds.